From:
mike gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 2004 09:47:24 -0500
Andrew Grebneff wrote:

>>  muriatic acid
>
>That's hydrochloric acid.
>
>>Try LimeAway tile cleaner instead. It's not as strong an acid, can be
>>used indoors. I use a toothbrush and rinse often, when I can't get
>>deposits off otherwise. A quick dip and rinse will also take off light
>>lime film.
>
>Beware... if this stuff is caustic it will attack the conchiolin in
>the shell, weakening it; it may also dissolve the colors.
>
>Try it on junk shells first!

I use muriatic acid a lot on murexes, rock shells, and drills for the
final cleaning before oiling. But, as you suggest, there are caveats.

I dilute it about 5 water to 1 muriatic acid, that seems to slow down
the action a little.

Definitely experiment with some junk shells of the same genus.

Use the acid for that final cleaning. It is not for removing  big gobs
of crud and encrustation.

As others mentioned ALWAYS have water running so you can zap then
immediately rinse well. A dab with the Q-tip or swipe with the
toothbrush then rinse thoroughly. Too much acid is not reversible!

Avoid acid in the aperture or on shiny shells. It will ruin the lustre.
It will also loosen the periostracum which will then come off in sheets.

You can get the acid at any Home Depot or Lowes in the pool maintenance
department. A gallon will last forever. Or just mooch a pint from a
friend with a pool.

Your dentist throws away lots of dental picks in interesting shapes and
variations. Ask him to save a handful for you.