From:
"Gijs C. Kronenberg" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 19:55:32 +0100
Especially to Art, Harry and John:

No, you can't just "forget" a higher category which is employed by
zoologists (including malacologists) all over the world, and, even more
important, accepted by the ICZN as a"rank" (in a hierarchal system) between
genus and subfamily.
To make it more complicated: even "subtribe" exists (ending: -ina).
Just as the ending of a name (in zoology that is) in -oidea stands for
superfamily, the ending -idae for family, -inae for subfamily, so is -ini
for tribe and -ina for subtribe.

The character which distuinguishes Strombidae from other families are not
the eyes!
Both Seraphidae and Rostellariidae have comparable eyes. What separates
Seraphidae from Strombidae is perfectly explained (although without
recognising it as a family) in the paper by Jung & Abbott, 1967. The genus
Terebellum in the Indo-Pacific. Indo-Pacific Mollusca 1(7): 445-454.

Gijs