From:
Scott Jordan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Apr 2005 20:33:25 -0700
I speak from experience when advising that, no matter what DO NOT
SUBMERSE THE COWRIES WITH THEIR SNAILS INTACT IN FRESH WATER FOR ANY
PERIOD OF TIME!   The cowry snails either decay or secrete fluids which
create an acid in the water that takes the shine right out of the
enamel.

Years ago I ruined an absolutely wonderful night's haul by making this
mistake.  And believe me, the shells do not need to spend much time in
such conditions to be affected.  This is one lesson that I will never
forget.

Scott