From:
Andy Rindsberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jul 2005 15:17:50 -0500
Kevin,

Well, species ranges do shift continually anyway. To establish a trend would
require gathering data on many species over a period of time. Existing
documentation can be included in such analyses as long as allowances are
made for differences in collecting methods, time spent collecting,
expertise, and taxonomic knowledge (for example, an early collector might
not be aware of subtle differences between dimilar species and lump them
together). Also, to be fair, one should be alert to the possibility that
some species' ranges might be shrinking southward.

In studies of a region covering a period of several years, it's a good idea
to include information on some of the major environmental upsets. Some of
them would be brief and violent, such as major hurricanes and oil spills.
Others would be slow but even more pervasive, such as shifts in agriculture,
fishing, offshore mining, and industry. Examples: Farming leads to more
rapid erosion than leaving the land forested, and some of the eroded soil
ends up in bays and the sea, enriching or smothering the seafloor. Offshore
mining for sand and gravel can eliminate local biologic communities and
alter the bottom so that other communities replace them. Dragnets can remove
scallops and other surface-dwelling organisms; fishing can remove predators,
with effects that can be difficult to predict or even document properly.
Sewage and industrial pollution have such familiar effects that I don't
think I need to hammer them in. New England has undergone so many such
effects over the past five centuries that it would be challenging (but not
impossible) to sort them out. On the plus side, New England has a good
record built up over many years by amateur and professional collectors -- a
historical record that is at best sketchy for most areas, e.g., the Alabama
coast before Doug Shelton's studies.

Any savvy collector can gather information today that will be invaluable
tomorrow to document environmental changes. And with digital photography, a
collector need not even remove shells from the environment, though physical
collecting is still best for accurate work, and especially to document
species that look much alike. I invite curators to comment on this,
particularly on their needs and interests.

Cheers,
Andy

Andrew K. Rindsberg
Geological Survey of Alabama