From:
Phil Fallon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Dec 2005 09:45:17 -0500
Paul,

Your question is very thought provoking.  I can give you some probable reasons why the club here on Long Island is now defunct:

1. The Internet has partly supplanted the need of individuals with similar interests to get together to discuss their hobby;
2. Young people have been impossible to recruit for a number of reasons: insufficient time to devote to meetings; the leave-nature-along attitude today, or taboo on collecting live (or even dead) animals; the lack of training of natural history in universities (and consequently the great ignorance of most about our natural environment); the lack of access to the seacoast for many; and finally, the perception that existing clubs are retiree coffee clubs.
3. The failure of clubs to cater to all members' interests.  Interest in shells ranges from the casual to the scientific, from micros to macros, and from marine to terrestrial.  Unless a club can establish a program that includes everyone's interests, and allows full participation of its members, it will lose the disaffected.

I'd like to hear from members who are in successful, productive clubs.

Phil