From:
Don Barclay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2006 20:48:18 -0500
Thanks Chris,

Guido also noted the similarity to Bursa lucaensis, and posted
a photo to the forum that looks very similar to the Kiribati
shells.  One other person noted the similarity to Bursa venustula,
particularly the photos from "Polynesia" on the right side of page
62 in Cossignani.  As I reexamined those photos, I saw that the
specimen did indeed show the remainders of the columellar stain
on the upper whorls of the shell, exactly like my two juveniles,
and that the dark markings extend higher above the aperture,
also like my shells.  I checked the photos of B. venustula on
www.gastropods.com, and sure enough, the specimen in the
photos there also shows remnants of the columellar stain on
the upper whorls.  I don't know how significant that is, but I
haven't seen it on any of the other species so far.  I wish I had
collected some adults...

Cheers,

Don