From:
Andy Rindsberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2006 09:48:28 -0500
José, I think you have the basic idea right, since I have the same vague
memory. It must have seemed like a good idea at the time. Now, of course,
the difference is just one more stumbling block in the effort to unify plant
and animal nomenclature (the moribund Biocode proposal).

Dick, you're no doubt correct about the Commission keeping minutes and other
records. It may even be discussed in an old issue of the Bulletin of
Zoological Nomenclature. The Code itself tends to cover its own tracks.

Actually, databases are not as helpless in the face of homonymy as I first
indicated. After all, any large database will have to deal with homonyms
anyway, which are distinguished in practice by the use of authors' names and
dates.

Regards,
Andy

Andrew K. Rindsberg