From:
Lynn Scheu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Aug 1998 18:12:24 -0400
Martin,

Not to quibble over words, but are you sure it is Pacific Panama, since the
length of Panama (about 400 miles of it) is oriented east -west?  Some
Caribbean Panama locations are actually west of some locations in the
Pacific Golfo de Panama. If your data slip says Western Panama, I hope it
has a more specific locality as well.  Or that it is found near the Canal???

Here's what I found, which confirms your own inability to find a record of
it in Pacific Panama:

Radwin and D'Attilio say that the species "must be considered a Caribbean
cognate of the Panamic Talityphis latipennis (Dall, 1919)" So if it is
indeed a Panamic shell, maybe what you have is actually latipennis. See
Radwin Plate 30 Nos. 13-15 for comparison.

Myra Keen gives range for Latipennis as Gulf of California to Panama Bay in
depths to 45 m.

And Emily Vokes' March 1995 Catalog of all Presumed Valid Recent Species of
Muricidae says that  the name  "perchardi R & D'A is a synonym of
Talityphis expansus Sowerby, 1874. (Radwin and D'Attilio's illustration of
expansus on Plate 31 no. 3 is not that species but is  actually the
holotype of Typhis puertoricensis Warmke, 1964 -- an error)

 Kevan Sunderland pictures both taxa, expansus and perchardi,  in the
December 1989 "Caribbean Coralliophilidae and Typhidae" American
Conchologist, p. 13.

Gary Rosenberg in Malacolog says lists perchardi as a synonym of expansus
also.

Bayer (1971) illustrates expansus and gives extensive locations from which
material was examined, none including Pacific Panama
I have looked at everything I have and have no record of expansus/perchardi
being found in Pacific Panama.

It'll be interesting to read what others say.

Lynn Scheu
Louisville, KY