From:
mike gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2006 21:53:29 -0400
> One would think it would be easy to learn if beach replenishment was
> harming
> the resident biota. Sure seems like it does. I'm trying to make an
> effort to
> be impartial, and it is terribly hard to shake the notion that this is a
> problematic practice. But if I am really going to understand it, I am going
> to have drop my baggage or I won't be truly learning, I'll just be looking
> for evidence to support my hunches.
>
> Conch-L is way cool because we've got the whole spectrum here from
> dilettantes to scientists. Once could not get further from primary sources,
> but it's a great resource to get some ideas about just where one might
> start
> setting up one's tripod.

I'm a dilettante, not a scientist. Make no mistake about that.

But the beach renourishment projects have allowable limits,
including the allowable kill of a specific number of sea
turtles, and an allowable amount of silt scattered from the
plume that extends for miles around the dredge site. I don't
know who set these limits, or how, but they are part of the
contract between the ACE, the dredge operators, and the local
governments that pay for the dredging.

Perhaps someone thinks that a few thousand tons of sediment
dumped on the flora and fauna might make it unhappy?

For example, the Ocean Ridge renourishment project, last
November/December, allowed turbidity of 29 NTU above background.
On November 24 and again on the 25th NTU values obtained at the
Boynton Beach Inlet by Reef Rescue were 50.6, 51.6, 55.8 and
56.9 NTUs. (Measurements were taken in the field employing an
Oakton T-100 portable turbidimeter. The instrument was
calibrated with 0.2, 20, and 100 NTU standards prior to use.
Samples were obtained from discrete depth intervals using a
Kemmerer sampling device.)

The dredges are violating the law, their permits, and their
contracts! Dredging was stopped for a day, then resumed.

A few days later Ed Tichenor, who is Reef Rescue, said "Thank
you to the many dive boat operators and divers who contacted us
and provided photos on Sunday 11/27/05 regarding the horrendous
conditions created by the Ocean Ridge Beach Renourishment
Project. Within 30 minutes after arriving on the scene, using
"state of the art" portable monitoring equipment generously
provided by Brian Catanzaro of Aquatic Eco-Systems
www.aquaticeco.com we had the project shut down for violations
of their environmental permit. While it is not our intent to
stop the project or enter into a debate about the merits of
beach renourishment programs, we do feel obligated to ensure
that environmental conditions of the permit are enforced."

And, "For five of the last six days pumping of the sand has been
curtailed because of excessive turbidity conditions created.  It
is up to us, the local diving community, to be the "watchdogs"
to make sure our valuable reefs are protected. The governmental
regulatory agencies appear to actually do their jobs when they
know someone is looking over their shoulder."

And, "A component of any dredging operation needs to be the
control of sediments, which can smother nearby habitats.  Due to
economics, high sand pumping rates provide a cost benefit for
the dredge operator, which can result in loss of habitat from
excessive turbidity.  Strict adherence to turbidity monitoring
protocols and enforcement of standards is essential due to the
proximity of critical coral reef habitat. (200 feet from Sloan's
Curve/Horseshoe)  Therefore, we are formally requesting a Reef
Rescue representative be granted permission to be present
onboard the monitoring vessel as an independent observer.
Further, all water quality samples collected in conjunction with
the project shall be retained for independent verification.  In
addition, the turbidity monitoring protocol must allow for
modification based on field conditions to provide for
representative sample collection within the densest part of the
turbidity plume."

Thus far, the response has been to refuse presence of observers
on the dredges, and a request by ACE to increase turbidity
levels by a factor of 100.

But as Ed pointed out, the enforcement agencies will enforce if
they are forced to.