From:
Dan Yoshimoto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 15:05:37 -0700
>Dan,
>
>I would love to have a specimen of Monodenia fidelis!  I too am somewhat
>limited in trading as most of my stuff is not self collected but
>purchased from dealers.   When I have duplicates for trade it usually
>means I bought a synonym of a species I owned (I've done it twice for
>Conus sowerbyi/praecellens - would you like one?) or I just goofed and
>ordered the same shell twice, or I may have found a deal on a bunch form
>the Philippines or India (Oliva minicea, Cypraea caputserpentis, Planaxis
>sulcatus, Nassarius stolatus, Nassarius globosus - all available).  I am
>afraid I cannot offer much in the way of California shells for your wife
>- but I do have a few.  By the way, what is S. californa?  Couldn't find
>one in any of my books.
>
>Donax punclatostriatus          22mm    F       Baja
>Oliva incrassata                53mm    F       Baja
>Olivella biplicata              15mm    F-/F    Baja
>Terebra armillata                8mm    F       Baja
>Thais biserialis                22mm    F-      Baja
>Pitar lupanaria                 15mm    F       Baja (?)
>Megathura crenulata             70mm    F-      Cal
>Mitra idae                      35mm+   F       Cal
>Murex festiva                   32mm    F       Cal
>Crassostrea gigas               82mm    F-      Cal
>Acanthina paucilirata           14mm            Cal
>Caliostoma ligatum              17mm    F-      Cal
>
>And of course we have the local Helix aspersa, introduced to New Mexico
>in the early 1950s in shipments of roses from California where it paused
>on its way from Europe.  There is another one I've heard of which has
>established itself in the downtown area but I haven't seen it and do not
>know what it is YET.
>
>I am not certain of the data or condition of the shells above as this was
>just a quick grab from my database and I haven't looked at the shells.  I
>just noticed the Crassostrea gigas and if I'm not mistaken, I bought
>those at a fish market in Seattle (almost California!!).  Anyway, if you
>would like any of them, please let me know.  No need to worry about a
>trade as I'm already in debt for the Otala lactea you sent a while back.
> If, as I suspect you already have better specimens than the ones I can
>offer, let me know if you are interested in a particular family that is
>not a California species and I'll see what I have.
>
>I am now the proud owner of a Cryptochiton stelleri from your area I just
>bought on the Raine's auction.  I also got some pictures of the living
>animal from the internet and I must say it is a bit ugly - but it sure is
>big!
>
>BREAK----BREAK----BREAK----BREAK
>
>I just re-read your letter and realized you were trading California
>shells, not wanting them (which makes all kinds of sense).  Well, my
>excuse is I've been laying patio blocks in the back yard all day and I'm
> [...]

Tom,
I just got your letter so I haven't checked my database yet.  But, as for a
trade for the landsnail, don't worry until i have sent four or five hundred
and then you can give me your house.  Ha! Ha!
        As for your Cryptochiton stellari, I know what you mean by ugly.  I
have an even more sense provoking experience than the internet photos: I
"captured" one (alive), kept it in my tank for several months, until it
died.  I then transferred it to a sealed bottle of water to wait to be
cleaned.  As the months went on and the water began to turn blacker &
blacker, I began to worry about opening it up.  I didn't!  I pitty the poor
guy at the garbage dump that opens that sucker in a few years as he's going
to cause the most noxious smell he's ever had.  ¡Pobrecito! (That's Spanish
for I really feel bad but "Shikataganai!", which is Japanese for "It could
not be helped".
        Tom, I'll give you a notice when I'm sending your shells so you'll
know when to expect them.  Enjoy the next capitol of the COA Convention,
after Hawaii falls off.
Dan

Dan & Hiromi Yoshimoto
1164 Vista Dr.