Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2006 07:16:28 -0500
Here in the USA we are not so insulated as you might think. Perhaps the
"insulation" is more cultural than physical.
Many sewage treatment plants provide only primary treatment where the heavy
chunks are allowed to settle out and, depending on the time of year, the
sewage may or may not be chlorinated or treated with uv light to kill the
bugs that might make you sick and then dumped into our rivers or oceans. EPA
requires UV or chloriniation treatment only during those times of year when
the public is likely to come in contact with the water. Here in Maine that
is usually from May through Sept.  In some place warmer like Florida it is
probably year round. That said, any sewage treatment plant may have problems
with it's treatment systems at any time of year so whether the water you
swim in has been properly treated is more a toss of the dice.
Whether people get sick from eating raw shellfish depends more on how well
sewage treatment plants are operating and whether the state regulators who
check shell fish harvesting areas have the resources to do their job.
in countries without the resources to build treatment plants and pay
shellfish wardens, it is much more likely you will get sick from the
shellfish you eat. The number of contaminated shellfish may be the same. It
is just varies how likely they are to end up on your plate.

Beth DeHaas
Whitefield, ME