From:
Paul Mikkelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 2008 22:49:14 -0400
  To all who looked favorably on my new Malacological Terms website, and
commented:   thanks!   I consider this effort to be the beginning of
something greater to come;  as such, to compare it at its "birth" with
the classics mentioned may be a bit of exaggeration and a tad premature,
at best!    ...perhaps time will tell (LOL!).

To Jordan, who responded offlist, thank you so much for your
constructive comments...  my response may be of interest to others and
is thus included onlist:
      Having a mom that is "legally blind" (i.e., blind), I'm sensitive
to the topic of making the site more accessible to those who are
visually impaired.   I've done a poor job, thus far, but as I stated:
the site is young!  I have used the "Jaws" screen reader, but have not
used it with this site...  I will!   Past options to make a page "Bobby
Compliant" are no longer available. This is/was a program that tested
sites and pages for ADA accessibility and was once available for free to
test single pages via their website.  Reference:
       http://www.cast.org/products/Bobby/index.html
There are many other options available to test for "web content
accessibility" and I'll take advantage of those as time permits
      http://www.w3.org/WAI/eval/Overview.html

Some thoughts:   In the "enhancements" page is an item stating the
desire for an audio button...   someday, one can listen to the term
spoken as well as the definition...  IF you can find the audio button!
The "buttons" on the home page really need more contrast (mom prefers
bold jet black on bright white; color on color buttons often don't print
well on black-and-white printers)...    the buttons are created with
html "form" code...   easily created, but not the best.  I really want
(and need!) to  include photo descriptions in html "ALT" tags...  this
will be accessed by screen readers and be read to the visitor to
describe the photo. To reiterate:  the technical aspects still need a
lot of work; with time, it WILL get there!

Thanks, again!
Paul
www.MalacologicalTerms.org