Date:
Sun, 4 Oct 1998 12:49:52 -0400
Best place to find shells in the caribbean? shell stores are a good place to
start...
SERIOUSLY, first you might want to learn as much as possible about the
querry you're hunting including . Let's use an example , Chicoreus florifer
(sub) dilectus (A. Adams 1855), if you go by the books it's found easily
around rocks , this is not always true as these beautiful murex are found on
silty mud flats that have sparse turle grass , next you have to get in your
mind that the shell will not look anything like that specimen in the glass
cabinet, it will be encrusted with sea life and if ytou don't train your
eyes to recognise the outline you'll miss it. i once pulled a club member
aside , we were standing in the middle of 3 florifer and i asked them to
spot onme , they couldn't . all this means is that if you want to find the
shells you have to learn their habitats and it's usually by stumbing onto
them.
One other tip, Mr. Robert Lipe told me that if you really want to find the
good stuff you need to go snorkling at night , he said once you've night
dived  you'll never waste time flipping rocks during the daylight.
as for where to go in the bahamas, ABACO ISLAND  , contact the Cordy's ,
they have great trips and when i finally concour the world i plan to attend
one. Mark & Peta  Bethke
Hollywood, Florida