From:
David Lindeman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 11:58:12 EDT
Thanks for your input,about the books ive been looking for the compendium book
for a while a i think my wife is going to surprise me with it .More about the
shell holding it in a dorsal view both varix are fully formed the @4 little
spine like projections are visible on both .The only change in the shell has
been that someone carved a semi cameo of a sail boat on it .
On another topic has anyone while snorkeling observed these 2 behaviors in
squid or
cuttle fish that are swimming in open water where floating sargaso is present.
1 the animal changes the mantle to the color of the open sea and changes the
shape and formation of its tenticles to match that of a piece of sargasso
at 2 independant times 4 years apart i verified this behavior at the same spot
in bermuda .

2 Upon chasing the squid it ejects a ink cloud but you keep persuing it .Then
it ejects another you continue.At the point that the squid has no more ink  it
makes the same body shape as if it where going to eject another ink cloud but
the animal this time turns itself into the color of an ink cloud.

I dont know the exact name of this type of squid/cuttlefish but i did document
pictures of it and i did try to video tape the chase but was  unsuccesfully  .

regards
david lindeman
NY