From:
Kevin Lamprell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Nov 1998 06:31:59 +1100
I think the term "best sheller" is in itself a bit wide in its
interpetration as can be seen by the various replies to Conch-L, but
there must be one gentleman who must surely rate in this catagory.

Hugh Cuming (1791-1865) was a successful sail-maker who having done well
financially purchased and outfitted a large boat and set sail on several
expeditions firstly around Polynesia, the next around the W coast of
America (1828-30) and the Philippines 1836-40.

These journeys earned him the title Prince of Shell collectors (see
Dance, Peter A History of Shell Collecting 1966-1986).

Cumings huge collections were distributed and donated to the many
leading malacologists/conchologists and institutions of the times for
naming and their collections.

Everyone of your collections would have many of the Cuming species, and
all his work was done, not for money but for the love of natural
history, lets take our hats of to old Hugh.

Kev Lamprell