From:
Glenn Burghardt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 13:13:31 -0800
Dear Sandro

    In our experience of many years we have not found a way to 'flatten' out
the curled chiton specimens. If the specimen is slightly curled then soaking
them to make them soft might work but be careful not to over soak so they
fall apart. Recently, we wanted to 'soften' some specimens and tried a
chemical tri  sodium phosphate. It does soften the dried animal a little and
did work somewhat but again do not overdue it.
    Depending on what your plans are for the chiton specimen here are your
choices. If for scientific use then the specimen can be left the way it is
or can be soaked and taken apart. Be sure to save the girdle (or piece) if
possible as it is part of the taxonomic description. Saving the radula would
also be good. Be sure to keep the valves (plates) in order so they can be
cleaned and glued back together. Many collectors only keep rearticulated
(glued) specimens. They show the color and pattern but do lack something
overall.
    If you are collecting only for the beauty then separate and re-glue the
plates and forget about the girdle and radula. The rearticulated plates can
be displayed in flat plastic boxes or in Riker mounts and make a nice
colorful display, especially if you combine different color variations and
patterns.
    We hope this answers you question and you will probably receive other
suggestions.  Please visit our website: www.chitons.com .
    Best regards,

    Glenn & Laura

Glenn & Laura Burghardt, 11424 Pioneer Ave., Oakdale, CA 95361 USA
email: [log in to unmask]  website: www.chitons.com
Worldwide shell collectors. Special interest: chiton collection and study