From:
Marlo Krisberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 1999 20:42:04 -0800
For those interested, a status report on the Peanut Island
"rennovations" as of Jan. 8th.    One small boat dock on the NE corner
is just about completed.  Pilings have been placed for what looks to be
a large fishing pier.  Construction has started on the concession
building (NE corner).  Roads have been cut around the island and a few
into it.  More trees have been cut with the beaches being expanded
further inland.

So far the waters and flats around the island remain untouched.  Weather
was not entirely cooperative for our visit and we had high tides and
wind all day.  No opportunity for shelling.  We did get in a few hours
of snorkeling.  Few shells were observed.  A fully mature Stombus gigas
was observed.  Lots of olivella trails.  Little else.

Marlo
Florida