From:
Phil Liff-Grieff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 01:27:03 +0000
I need advise from the experienced collectors on Conch-L before I do any
more damage...

I am cleaing a number of specimens of Conus ebraeus that I collected in
Hawaii this past month.  They came home frozen and were thawed and put
in full strength bleach to remove calcareous deposits etc.- a method
that has worked fairly well on other shells.  Once cleaned these cones
have a definite pink cast to them!  Since I can't find any reference to
pink and black C. ebraeus, I have to assume that, somehow, I'm
responsible.

What did I do wrong?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Phil Liff-Grieff