From:
Jim Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 23:22:36 -0500
Thanks all for helping me out with the Shark's Eye dilemma. I am trying
several different approaches because I just got a truly huge one that came
up with the Calico scallops yesterday (just at three inches -- as big as
I've ever seen, but I'll bet someone out there has a bigger specimen).

Meanwhile, here's another one to toss at you (and I know you'll come
through on this one, too). When they are offloading the scallop boats, I
find lots of single valves (one to two inch) of Aequipecten muscosus in an
amazing assortment of colors: lemon yellow, dayglow orange, plum, rose and
scarlet red. The only double I've ever found was washed up on Sanibel and
it was covered with a coating of sponge -- I almost missed it, but the
shape gave it away (wonder how many people walked past it that day without
a glance?).

So, has anyone out there ever find one "in the wild?" There were several at
the shell shops but none had much information except something like "found
2 miles south of Sanibel in 50 ft. of water."

Any information would be appreciated. And any dealers out there with nice
specimens, let me know, okay?

Thanks as always,
Jim Miller
Tallahassee, Florida