From:
Lynn Scheu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 08:37:30 -0500
Dear Peter, and anyone else who is wobbling from Art's latest messages:

Welcome to the OTHER Conch-L. Sometimes we get a little strange and
lightheaded. It might be from the fumes of all those chemicals we have been
mixing to melt away whale flesh, clean animals out of shells, and preserve
seahorses.

Anyway, the Flying Pigs (Art introduced them to us about two years ago!)
are sort of mascots of Conch-L with an entire life history and ecology,
subject of poem and song ("Hey Diddle Diddle, the Pig and the Fiddle," Neil
Diamond's ever famous "Cracklins Rosie" ) Some people hate them, others
deplore the off-topic postings. Whole WARS have been fought over them. (Art
only THINKS that Flying Elk are the sole predators of his little critters!
I know some ConchLers who had a flying pig barbeque!)

And then there are those of us who have a great fondness for them. I
personally prefer to believe they are little on-topic cowries with wings.
But they are always with us, no matter what! Wander the archives. Or maybe
Art has the flying pig thread indexed and will share it?

One can only hope that the Elks are not common!

Lynn Scheu, ducking unfriendly fire!
Louisville, KY