From:
NORA BRYAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 08:48:48 -0700
Here is my "Really Uneducated Guess" about why Pleurotomaria have clean shells
(remember, this is coming from a severely land-locked person who knows didley
about shells, although I'm reading)....
Since they are deep-water they live below the photic zone, it's too dark to see
and therefore they do not require a visual camouflage.  Perhaps also, the type
of encrusting organisms usually associated with shells in shallower water shun
this deep water.
To really test this I would have to find out if other deep water shelled
molluscs have encrustations or not.  Does anybody know?
By the way I think James has done a great job on his site.  I also think
Andrew's suggestions for James are excellent.