From:
"Harry G. Lee, MD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 17:46:20 -0500
Dear All,

The the generic or specific name may be a complete sentence (e.g.
Philomycus; Conus cedonulli).  I guess one can reconcile "cedonulli" (I
yield to no one) with Simpson's definition by saying it is a sentence in
appostion to the genus "Conus."  Don't be try to tamper with the termination
of "nulli," it's dative!

Harry

At 09:33 AM 2/24/99 -0600, you wrote:
>>Genus: Homo
>>Species: sapiens Bakker, 1993
>
>Just as a point of clarification.
>
>A GENUS is defined as:
>
>"A SINGLE word, capitalized and treated as a Latin noun in the nominative
>singular."
>
>A SPECIES is defined as:
>
>"The name of a species consists of TWO words, which is the reason why
>Linnaean nomenclature is called binomial or binary.  The first word is the
>name of the genus to which the species belongs.  The second word, called
>simply the specific [or specific epithet] or sometimes the trival name, is
>not capitalized and is treated either as a Latin noun in aposition, a Latin
>noun (especially a proper name) in the genitive, or a Latin adjective,
>which must agree with the generic name in number (singular) or gender."
>
>From Simpson, G.L. 1961.  Principals of animal taxonomy. page 32.
>
>Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
>
>Kevin
>

>Kevin S. Cummings
>Illinois Natural History Survey
>607 E. Peabody Drive
>Champaign, IL 61820
>http://www.inhs.uiuc.edu/cbd/collections/mollusk.html

Harry G. Lee
mailto: [log in to unmask]
Suite 500, 1801 Barrs Street
Jacksonville, FL  32204
U. S. A.    904-384-6419
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/wfrank/jacksonv.htm