From:
JOYCE MATTHYS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 22:16:26 -0500
Emilio was unfamiliar with the term "docent".  Basically a docent acts as a
guide.

As docents at the Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum here on Sanibel Island, we
great the visitors as they come into "The Great Hall of Shells" and present
them with an informational brochere that shows some of the more common
shells found on our local beaches and their names.  It also contains brief
descriptions of the exhibits.  We offer information about the exhibits,
shelling in our area and anything else that will make their visit to the
museum more enjoyable.  We answer their questions about shells or if we
don't know the answer, direct them to another member of the staff that may
be able to help them.  Of course, one of us watches over the Children's
Learning Lab and interacts with children from 2 to 90 years of age.

Joyce Matthys
Sanibel Island, FL/Salem, Oregon