From:
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 09:35:34 -0700
Maurizio,

I agree that some kind of code would help, but I don't see it
happening.  Supposedly we have all of that kind of information on the
data slip already but as you (and most everyone else who has ever
purchased shells) know, that isn't always enough.  I think all of us
have bought a shell at times only to get something that was not quite
what we thought we were buying.

Frankly, I am amazed at how well the shell dealers seem to manage with
identifications and locale.  If the shell has been through a few hands
the data is often very incomplete and we end with with data slips that
say Australia or Cebu, P.I.  Plus we decide to specialize and really get
into one particular family and expect a dealer to maintain that level of
knowledge about a myriad of families.  On the other hand, even when the
shell comes directly form the collector the data is sometimes bad.
Record keeping can be tough with something that comes back wet and soon
stinks to high heaven.  Many days often pass between initial collection
and the final data slip.

So no insults, just another collector who has problems with
identification.  A friend once bought a big box of assorted olives at a
shell convention/show.  She still has many of them in the box as they
did not have locale data and many were tough to impossible to correctly
identify.  Another friend had his drawer of olives dropped and all of
the shells and data slips were mixed up.  Still a mess.

So, we have all been there,  but some of that is what makes this hobby
great.

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA