From:
Steve Long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 08:28:14 -0800
The comments by Shelton, Krisberg, Baldwin, Callomon and others make me
think about the American Conchologist and ALL malacological printed
material.  You may also have noticed that the Hawaiian Shell News is no
longer printed.

Once the material is on the Web, only a small percentage of people will
continue to pay for the printed material even IF it is still available in
paper form.  At the same time, printing and postage costs escalate.  Web
site production and maintenance is also expensive.

If the American Conchologist was available on the Web; how many of YOU would
continue to subscribe?  How many new paper subscriptions would come in to
support the expense.  It is hopeless to expect that this trend toward misuse
of intellectual property will reverse itself.

The one hope I have is that people will LINK to the materials on their
original sites and NOT in a FRAME so that the user is directed to the
ORIGINAL source to view what he wants.  At least that way the originator
gets some credit.  http://www.seaslug.com has LINKS to over 2400 color
photos of opisthobranchs, pyramidellids, etc. on the site and no author
complains -- many thank me for getting more people to their sites.

[log in to unmask], Opisthobranch Newsletter