From:
Marlo Krisberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 21:32:26 -0800
This is a test putting in practice some of the issues being discussed on the subject of data on the
net.  I'd like to obtain a book.  I'm told it is excellent in its treatment of some Caribbean
seashells.  If I understand correctly, it was published once in 1988.  I have not been successful in
finding a dealer offering this book.  I've been told that once in awhile a dealer "gets their hands
on a copy and offers it."  All this seems to say that the initial printing was sold and future sales
will not benefit the authors or publisher.  If this book will from now on only be available when
someone is willing to sell theirs, how do those of us who might want one, and those in the future,
avail ourselves of the knowledge and contribution made by the authors?  Now, what if I know someone
with a copy and they are willing to email or send a photo copy of some material from the book.
Should they share it?  Should sharing this product be forever barred?  Is this the reasonable and
legitimate way to treat knowledge?

Marine Gastropods from Curacao, Aruba and Bonaire
K.M. DeJong and H.E. Coomans
E.J. Brill

--
Marlo