From:
Kurt Auffenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 08:52:36 -0500
At 08:05 PM 3/12/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Andrew Vik
>Tampa, Fl., U.S.A.
>
>Kurt:
>
>I'm amazed that a landsnail collector would be repelled by the few
discomforts
>of  beach shelling. I have always found land collecting to be much more
>hazardous. When hunting on limestone formations, you are subject to cuts and
>bruises and the threat of rock slides and sudden falls.

YES, I'VE FALLEN ALL OVER THE WORLD AND HAVE SCARS TO PROVE IT.  HOWEVER, I
WOULD RATHER STITCH MYSELF UP WITH DENTAL FLOSS THAN FACE THE BEACH.

Hoards of mosquitoes,
>ticks, chiggers, wasps, ants, spiders, scorpions, leaches, snakes, etc. take
>turns dining on your flesh during trips to the forest.
YES.  WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?

I have never returned
>from the beach as completely filthy dirty as I get during a good landsnail
>trip.
YES. AGAIN.

Landsnailing is not for wimps!
AMEN.
A day on the beach is completely relaxing
>by comparison. By the way, freshwater collecting is not for timid souls
either.
>There are hoards of mosquitoes, leaches, snakes, alligators, snapping
turtles,

I DON'T DO FRESHWATER MUCH EITHER.  BUT IT'S NOT BECAUSE OF THE VISIBLE
CREATURES YOU MENTION.  I DON'T LIKE THOSE LITTLE MICROBE THINGS THAT MAKE
YOUR LIFE A LIVING HELL LATER.

KURT