From:
Peter Whipple <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 21:10:37 -0600
The holotype is THE specimen used to describe a species.  Thus all other
members of the species are measured against it.  A paratype is a member of
the original group of shells containing the holotype.  I think.  Or it's
one of THE specimens used to describe the species (when more than one).
I'm sure someone will clear up my confusion.  HTH

Peter
Independence, MO