From:
Mary Cecile Graham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 16:55:04 EST
Thank you, Ross, for validating my collection of less than perfect shells.  I
tend to choose the most unusual or pleasing color or form out of a batch of
specimens    regardless of imperfections,  and I actually enjoy seeing signs
of struggle in the shell.  But I think most of us have at one time or another
received shells that were disappointing when ordering by mail, and we miss out
on the experience of choosing specimens out of a large sampling of the
species.  So perhaps the preference for perfection has developed in reaction
to this.  When I'm buying blind, I want the biggest and the best, but when I
can see and touch the shells, I'll choose the most interesting examples for a
variety of reasons.  A suggestion to dealers: how about a twofer policy with
more common shells,  offering a price option on  two (or more) specimens to
include one fair+ or gem shell, and another of smaller size or less prime
condition along with it.  It's the variation within a species that I find most
interesting.

Cheers,
Mary Graham in NH