From:
Paul Monfils <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 18:50:42 -0500
Hi Ross,
I couldn't agree more.  When I fill an order, I always try to send
the "best" specimen I have in stock - BUT - that word can have
different meanings depending on whose order I am filling.  Picture
this.  Specimen A is extra large, with vibrant color and a vivid
pattern, but has a moderate growth mend low on the side of the body
whorl.  Specimen B is average size with average color and markings,
but is in "gem" condition (absolutely free of visible flaws).  Which
of these is the "best" specimen?  Using my personal rule of thumb -
which specimen would I most like to have in my own collection? - I
would opt for specimen A, and in most cases, that's what I would send
to a customer.  But, if I am filling an order for a customer who has
already made it clear to me that he wants only gem quality, and who
has already returned a few things because of minor flaws, then I'll
send him the gem specimen instead of the "best" specimen, and he will
be probably be perfectly happy with it, because after all, there is
NOTHING wrong with it - it's a GEM.
Regards,
Paul M.
Rhode Island, U.S.A.