From:
NORA BRYAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 08:10:04 -0700
Your shells are brachiopds James.  They are an extremely large group of
mostly ancient and extinct bivalved organisms, but they are not related to
molluscs at all.  There are hundreds of species and families in many shapes
and sizes.  They are sometimes called "lamp shells" because some of them
apparently look like ancient oil lamps.  There are a few modern examples.
The modern ones are not rare but no one collects them for some reason (except
us).  Fossil collectors, like my husband Joe has about 800 species from all
over the world.  If you want to know more about brachiopods, let me know and
we can send you some info.  Joe can probably tell you more when he gets the
computer.
Happy hunting