From:
Scott Schubbe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 00:05:47 EDT
Not long ago, there was a short thread on collecting fossil sharks teeth on
Casperson Beach, Venice, Florida. I can't remember who requested the info,
but I was there today, and here's what I found it to be like:

There were at least 20 other people fossiling there, many had the sifting
scoops that work the best for sifting the teeth from the surf. Three years
ago, I easily found a hundred teeth in an hour. Today, after 2 1/2 hours of
constant screening and sifting, I found maybe twenty.

Talking with the locals there who were fossiling, they told me a couple years
ago they "renourished" the beach further north off of Venice. A lot of the
new beach sand pumped in worked it's way south with the storms and winds, and
made the fossiling there miserable.

I noticed the sand was a lot lighter in color than it had been a few years
ago, it was almost black then. This area is almost devoid of shells on the
beach, in comparison to other places so very close to it on the gulf coast.

A lot of fossil bone pieces were present, along with the fossil mouth plates
of rays. One person I talked to showed me a 1 1/2 inch serrated tooth he had
found, it was a beauty. Sorry for this being mostly non-shell related, but I
thought a few might be interested.

Scott
Florida