From:
Ross Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 00:52:49 +0000
        Well, i guess i must be a REALLY small dealer- if i sold $2000 of
Pectens in 2 days, i'd be dancing on the moon!!!
        At any rate, Conus tops my list of most-sales familes by a LONG shot,
followed by those shiny Cyp-things, and then Pectens, which i have a
special fondness for (since, like the cones, one can make the most
Outrageous variation sets out of them!!).  Muricidae  and Marginellidae
are the toughest families to sell, as they seem to attract fewer than
their fair share of new collectors (which is tough to understand for the
former, at least for me!!).  I find, contrary to the observations of
many, that when i can get good chitons, they vanish extremely quickly.
Likewise with Trochidae.  One of the surprising families is Turridae -
the largest and most "challenging" (although many other words have been
used to describe it!!) family of molluscs: These sell surprisingly
steadily for me, although good sources are ***very*** difficult to find!!
        Some families seem to sell in little semi-random "spurts" for me -
Volutidae and Ovulidae come to mind: i always like to keep a good
variety in stock, but sales do not seem to reflect the effort i put into
getting interesting material!!
        It would be quite interesting to hear how other dealers fare, regarding
which familes sell the best for them - Brian?  Guido?  PAul?
Cheers,
Ross M.
--
Ross Mayhew:    Schooner Specimen Shells:    Http://www.schnr-specimen-shells.com