From:
NORA BRYAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 16:35:30 -0600
Speaking of unionids, last weekend we discovered numerous (hundreds maybe)
of empty unionid shells on a couple of sandbars on the South Saskatchewan
River right near the Saskatchewan/Alberta border.  This river empties into
the Arctic drainage basin.  I don't know much about unionids except that
there are only a few Canadian species according to my reference "Freshwater
Molluscs of Canada"  but none seem to be endangered as are many of the
unionids of the eastern US.  I believe my unionids to be Lampsilis radiata
siliquoidea Barnes 1823 based on this reference.  It is a large very thickly
shelled unionid with a nice mother-of-pearl interior.  I believe that this
unionid extends down into the Mississippi drainage as well.  Am I right that
this is a common and widespread unionid?  I'm not really in favor of farming
any animals for anything other than food, but as far as pearl-farming goes,
why would it be ecologically worse to use a common unionid like this
Lampsilis than a comparably common salt-water bivalve used for
pearl-farming, or or they not comparatively common at all?  I know that
product-wise the pearls are different and that fresh-water pearls are much
cheaper.
We collected several of the empty shells which are all in pretty good
condition, with intact periostracum and both valves joined.  I have a few
spares if anyone who is a real Unio fan is interested.  E-Mail me privately
at nora_bryan@ transcanada.com.
Nora Bryan
Calgary, Alberta
CANADA