From:
Ken Zentzis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 07:47:29 -0500
Hi Scott,

I believe the family has various representatives throughout the world (well,
except perhaps Antartica). Insect collectors keep small trays of
paradichlorobenzene flakes ("moth crystals", as one company calls them) in
their cases and drawers. It is most effective in killing, and preventing
infestations. Rather smelly, however. You could segregate anything suspicious
and make your own fumigation chamber out of a box and a plastic bag.
Napthalene "moth balls", don't seem to work as well. But be careful if using
PDB. No contact with your skin, and try not to get a big whiff of the stuff.
If used long-term, it needs to be replenished on a regular basis, since it
evaporates. I used to use cut-up pieces of Shell No-Pest strips containing
Vapona for my insect boxes. They were very effective but messy. Something oily
(presumably the Vapona) would ooze out...I believe Vapona is no longer
used...deemed too dangerous for the general population to use safely...

Ken
Wichita