From:
Ross Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 12:12:50 +0000
Now that i have made a complete fool of myself ( :-) ), lets get back "on track".
        Has anybody done much work on the mollucs of deep-sea vents?  I know a half-dozen of the spp named
so far, and they are all bivalves!  Have any gastropods, chitons, scaphopods, cephalopods,
monoplacophora or aplacophora been found associated with these incredibly interesting
chemically-driven ecosystems?   Has genetic work been done to try and determine how long these
populations have been "isolated" from their more shallow-water counterparts?  Do some of the spp
found in these communities also occur elsewhere (ie, what is the percentage of endemics??).  I am
curious (no comments from the peanut gallery, proverbial or otherwise!!), and probably many other
list members are also fascinated by this phenomenon, but never took the time to do much digging in
the literature!!
-Ross M.