From:
Patty Jansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 22:14:31 +1000
Dear all,

Just a funny story I thought I'd share with you. On Friday the tide was out
and so I went to a local rock platform to photograph live shells. Seeing
it's June and it's winter here I should not have been surprised that it was
absolutely FREEZING out there (OK all things are relative, it was freezing
in my shorts, especially when I ended up sitting in the water, as I
normally do). Next time I will wear my wet suit pants.

But let's take a few steps back. It was freezing when I got out of the car,
so I very quickly put on my old dive booties and almost ran across the
beach. It did not occur to me until later, that one of my shoes felt like
there was something in there. A little later, I decided that there was
definitely something in my shoe, so I took it off and held it upside down.
Out came a lizard, alive, but somewhat dazed. That's what you get for
keeping your shoes on the verandah!

And the shells? Yes, I found that Cypraea hirundo. I don't know if it was
the same one I found earlier when the photograph didn't work out (you are
not allowed to collect there), but it was one nevertheless. Let's hope the
photographs work out this time. Cowries are not at all common in Sydney,
which is really more temperate than tropical, but at the shell club we have
a competition who can find the most unusual cowrie alive. Nobody else has
found a C. hirundo so far.

Patty
WWW: http://www.capricornica.com

Capricornica Publications               on-line natural history bookshop
P.O. Box 345
Lindfield NSW 2070

phone/fax: 02 9415 8098 international: +61 2 9415 8098

E-mail: [log in to unmask]