From:
Ken Zentzis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 17:54:33 -0500
Hi All,

Just a note to add about the use of rubber bands to hold bivalves
together...I've seen quite a few older specimens with a deteriorated "binder"
around them. Upon removal, the clam was stained (permanently) a dark yellow
where the "elastic" was. I don't know when the Lioconcha, and Laevicardiums
were banded, but I know I wouldn't use them in my own collection for any
length of time.

A small spot of Elmer's can be soaked off...even so, I'd avoid gluing delicate
or toothed hinges.

Ken Zentzis
Wichita, Kansas