From:
NORA BRYAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 12:23:15 -0600
I have some questions about a freshwater snail sold in pet shops as a
Mystery Snail and it occurred to me that I could probably find out
something about these snails from the expert gardeners here in Calgary
AND the many conchological and malacological experts on CONCH-L whose
information has been so valuable to me over the last year- so I thought
I'd post my questions to both groups of experts simultaneously!  It's
amazing how different hobbies (shell-collecting and gardening) can
converge.
1.  Does anyone know anything about these snails - where they come from
etc - I didn't get a chance to really examine them, but they are on the
large side, over an inch high, rounded with a large body whorl and
apparently come in several shells colours - "blue", brown and even
albino. I would imagine that here in Calgary there is no danger of them
becoming a menace to indiginous species.
2.  I have been told that they are suitable for ponds here in Calgary
and that they would be effective algae eaters. Since I will need to
empty the pond in the fall, could they be overwintered indoors in an
aquarium or tub along with the goldfish?
Any advice or information from gardeners and freshwater snail
enthusiasts would be very welcome!