From:
Wayne Harland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 08:45:53 -0400
Rick,

You antiquarian shell prints are from the "Manual of Conchology" by George W. Tryon.  The Manual had two series - a marine series and a freshwater/terrestrial series.  The series was completed by Pilsbry after Tryon's death.  The Marine series consisted of 17 volumes published from 1885-1898.  The second series had 28 volumes published from 1885-1935.  Each series was offered in black & white, full color and a "fine edition" where the text was printed on heavy plate paper, the plates duplicated in full color and India tinted.  Supposedly this fine edition was limited to 25 copies.   I have never seen a complete "fine edition" even at the Academy in Philadelphia!

Hope this helps -- by the way I didn't check out all the plates just a sample but all the ones I checked we definiately from Tryon.

Wayne Harland
[log in to unmask]  http://www.gate.net/~wharland

"The trouble with doing something right the first time
is the no one realizes how difficult it really was."