From:
Paul Drez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 12:34:14 -0600
A Challenge:

I just sent a reply to Jose that I am sure that Petuch change Oliva
zelindae to the genus Conus at one time - maybe in his fossil papers and I
will take a look to make sure I am not crazy.  If I recall right, it was
some place One would not expect to see such a change!

The Challenge - relate to others the weirdest places that you have seen
significant changes in nomenclature in places that you would never guess.

My first nomination is of course in the Olividae:

WH Dall in his U.S. Geological Survey Professional Paper 59 "I. The Miocene
of Astoria and Coos Bay, Oregon", 1909.

In the general discussion of the genus Olivella, at the very end he gives a
key for discriminating "Pacific" Coast Olivellas.  Earlier in the text on
page 5 he relates the term "Pacific Coast" to that of the western Unites
Sates.  In the key he gives the name of a new subgenus of Olivellinae
called "Strephonella" and says that the type is Lamprodoma (Strephonella)
undatella Lamarck from the Gulf of California.

Now he only discusses one species of Olivella (O. pedroana) in this paper
which in not in the subgenus Strephonella, and Strephonella has never been
found in the fossil or recent of the Pacific Coast of the USA.  It occurs
as one recent species in the world and that is in the Panamic Province (the
type described above - "undatella").  It also occurs in the
Miocene/Pliocene of the Caribbean (from Panama to Haiti and the Dominican
Republic and the only location in the U.S. is a deep well in New Jersey.
It also probably occurred in the Miocene of western Europe.

Just strange to me to define a new tropical subgenus (probably should be a
genus) in the NW Pacific Coast fossil paper!!!

Paul