From:
"Sylvia S. Edwards" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 00:28:04 -0500
I wonder exactly what people mean when they say their hard drive "crashed"?
Do you mean you have to buy a new hard drive?  I had one that wore out -
started loosing a few cells at a time, but I was able to get all backed up
and install a new hard drive.

I've had what I call "crashes" when I learned that my scanner was not
compatible with Windows 98, in spite of all the new software, $25 a call
tech support, new scuzzi board - it still isn't working.  I finally got it
where I can hook it up without my system going down, but a lot of good that
does me - I get an error when I try to use it.  But I call a crash like
that, one that I can recover from without losing data.

I, too have heard of many "crashes" of Windows 98 after hardware
installation.  Even when MS says the hardware is compatible with Win98. My
son bought a new expensive HP scanner.  30 days later, he bought a HP
computer.  The two were not compatible under Windows 98.

What are others doing to backup these mega gigabyte drives?  I have a tape
drive, but it would take many hours to back up my 6.2GB's.  Right now I am
simply backing up crucial things to 1.44 MB floppies.  Does everyone know
you can span floppies if you use WinZip, when a file is larger than 1.44MB?

Are we going to have to buy a rewritable CD drive?  How costly are they?  I
have a multitude of shell photos and clipart, and many boxes of floppies.

Just wondering if others are looking ahead at what to do next.

Sylvia S. Edwards
Huntsville, Alabama