From:
Lindsey Groves <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 09:16:54 -0700
To all:

        The recent topic of evolution vs. creation has brought out some very
interesting thoughts and here are a few more.  I suppose that Art should
indeed be blamed as he initially posted the misguided Kansas BOE decision
(Art is a known to be a rabble-rouser as can be seen in his famous
(infamous?) June, 1988, Hawaiian Shell News article "How to destroy a shell
club").
        Firstly, if evolution could be disproven it would BY NO MEANS prove
the Judeo-Christian (ie. Biblical) theory of creation.  What of OTHER
theories of creation??  I imagine that Buddists, Moslems, Inuits, Navajos,
Hindus, Bantus, and numerous others (and heck, even the Incas) all truly
believe that their interpretation of creation is THE TRUTH. Someone
mentioned that humans somehow distinguish themselves from other animals
because we are so tuned-in to the passage of time.  The real difference
between humans and other animals is that, for the most part, WE are not
afraid of vacuum cleaners!
        Secondly, I personally have no objection to creation theories being
taught in a comparative religion type class with evolution as an alternative
to the myriad of creationistic ideas.  However, creation taught as a science
is nonsense.  If creation were to be required teaching in science classes
(given equal time of course), would Sunday school teachers be required to
give evolution equal time?? I highly doubt it (so much for equal time, eh?).
        Thirdly, lets face it kids will make their own choices of what to
believe and not to believe despite what is thought of an "appropriate
curriculum" and overly pushy parents and/or administrators (ie. in this case
board of educaton members) just make matters worse.  Lets give kids the
respect and dignity they deserve in what they choose to believe.

I hope that we have all learned a lot from this week long exchange of ideas
and philosophies (particularly tolerance of those who do not share our own
ideas), and we can ALL get back to shell topics.

Aloha,

Lindsey

Lindsey T. Groves
Collection Manager Malacology/Invert. Paleo.
900 Exposition Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90007
Voice: (213) 763-3376 (Mal) 744-3485 (IP)
Fax: (213) 746-2999/7646
e-Mail: [log in to unmask]