From:
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 11:31:11 -0600
Art,

It is no big deal to raise different mollusks in an aquarium.  First step --
get a book.  There are any number of good books on salt water aquariums and
you really should read up on the tank setup aspect first.  Once you have the
basics of water chemistry (essential), filtering and lighting -- you are
set.  Peolple have successfully kept a variety of Cypraeidae, Strombidae,
Fasiolariidae, Nassariidae, and Marginellidae.  I'm sure others have faired
as well but these are the ones I am personally aware of.  At least one
current member (Dan Yoshimoto) of the list has a couple of tanks set up in
the kitchen with a variety of mollusks.  If I remember correctly, he had a
voracious Forriria belcheri that was always hungry.

I have also heard of eggs being laid but I don't know of anyone getting the
young beyong the veliger stage.  The last 15 years has seen an increasing
popularity in the "reef aquarium" setup.  This type of setup would be great
for a limited number of smaller seashells.  Good luck,

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA