From:
Betty Jean Piech <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 09:12:53 -0400
P.S.  to my email of last night.

Awoke this morning to a beautiful sun-shinning morning and it is hard to
remember the destruction of yesterday, then the newspaper came.  Reading
the reports I realize how lucky we were to be living where we am.  25,000
homes in the county are without power, many roads are still impassible
either because of trees or water, intersections were flooded..

The tragedy of the three little girls was explained.  They were playing in
a water-filled culvert when they were swept into an underground storm
drainage pipe,  4 feet in diameter and 150 yards long.   The 8-year was
swept entirely through the pipe and grabbed  some branches as she emerged
and waited for her 12-year-old sister and 11-year-old friend to appear.
When they didn't, she finally went to a nearby house and 911 was called.
They were found 6 hours later still in the pipe.

The only thing to bring a smile to my face was the report that 6 to 7 foot,
125-pound, alligator that was found in the front lawn of a home just a
couple of miles.  I wonder what they thought when they looked out their
front window and saw it.  No one thinks the hurricane winds carried it up
from Florida, it probably was a pet (some pet) that escaped during the storm.

I need to get out and go to the grocery store today but will wait until
this afternoon and hope all the roads will be open.  I wish all of you a
lovely bright and sunny day.

Betty Jean, The Tall One