From:
Betty Jean Piech <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 16:11:28 -0500
Dear Conch-Lers -

I recently received an email from a friend that said in part:

"Well, if you are on the computer, here is a WEB SITE that I found that you
might want to try out:

http://babelfish.altavista.digital.com/cgi-bin/translate

This is a free translation service for computer that does French, Italian,
German, Spanish, Portuguese and English.  You just type in (or paste with
your Edit, Copy command any text, select the language and it will come
back.  You can even type in a URL and translate a web page....If you want
to send your next mail in, say Italian, just highlight the response, Edit,
copy and then paste to the outgoing mail."

I tried it in Portuguese for a friend in Brasil and it worked.
Unfortunately it does not do latin; and, more than letters, I wanted it to
translate original descriptions of new species, and they are often in
latin.  I suggested they add that but got no response.  However I also
asked about email and there is a charge for that; but there is no problem
using copying and pasting to the outgoing mail.

My second suggestion is to find a copy of Discover magazine for March,
1998.  Go to page 100 and read "Coils of Time" by Peter D. Ward about the
nautilus.  I think you will find it very interesting reading (unless of
course you are a nautilus expert).  I also know that Discover has a web
site.  I have not tried to use it, but it is possible the article might be
there.
(http://www.discover.com/)

Hope you find my suggestions interesting.

Betty Jean, The Tall One

Betty Jean Piech
Hockessin DE,USA
  _@/-  The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know.  -\@_