From:
Roland Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 06:51:27 -0700
It could very well be that the green color is due to an alga living in the shell. Here in the Pacific Northwest our jingle shell Pododesmus macrochisma has a green color inside due to an alga living in the shell. If one can do, others can.

Roland

Roland C. Anderson, Puget Sound Biologist
The Seattle Aquarium
1483 Alaskan Way
Seattle WA 98101 USA
phone: 206-386-4359
See our website: www.seattleaquarium.org

>>> Ardeth Hardin <[log in to unmask]> 10/27 6:07 PM >>>
I collected  a green colored sayana  at Cape San Blas close to the shore in
sand just beyond the state park. It was the last shell I picked up before I
got into the boat and thought I had a real treasure.   I asked several
people what made it green and most thought algae.  I washed it with soap to
make sure it was in the shell and not just a coating.

Put it in a container where it could not possibly get any light and much to
my dismay the green faded out anyhow.

Ardeth Hardin , Carrollton, Tx