From:
Ardeth Hardin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 21:41:40 -0500
Lynn, you mentioned Zeigler and Porreca's Olive Shells of the World.  Just a
note about Mr. Porreca.  He is 101 years old and
has been going to Sanibel even before the bridge was built.  He is sometimes
known as the " Valentine Man"  or  " Patches."
He made Sailor;s valentines from the wentletraps, horses conchs and other
small shells (one of which is in the Sanibel Shell
Museum)-thus the" Valentine Man".  He is known as "Patches"
because his wife always sewed patches on his khaki's since he would hunt the
tiny wentletraps on his knees.  I received an
E-Mail from my friend who just returned to Sanibel for the winter and I
understand he will still be back this year.  If you have ever been to
Sanibel in the winter and saw a man clad in Khakis on his hands and knees
near the lighthouse searching for wentletraps, it was surely Mr. Porreca.
He was always generous with information on how to look for the wentletraps
and would give away the larger ones that were not suitable for his
"valentines".  I don't think he is searching for the wentletraps anymore but
you might see him sitting on the bench in his khakis there by the service
station as you come off the Causeway onto Periwinkle as last year he would
take walks and then sit on the bench awhile.
 I remember he said one time that he had never taken a live wentletrap.  He
always had time to talk to and answer questions from the many tourist who
would go up to him and ask questions  and  there were many.
He used a butter cup to put the wentletraps in.  A very interesting man.

Ardeth Hardin, Carrollton, Tx
.