From:
"Monfils, Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 13:59:12 -0400
I was surprised at the mention of mixing alcohol with mineral oil, because I
didn't think they mixed very well.  But before I opened my mouth I thought I
had better check - which was easy to do since I'm at work at the moment, in
the lab.  I tried mixing mineral oil 50-50 with pure ethyl alcohol, pure
methyl alcohol, and pure isopropyl alcohol.  None of them mixed well.  The
best I got after stirring for 15 minutes was clouds of tiny oil droplets
suspended in the alcohol.  And that's with pure (water-free) alcohol.  The
alcohol you buy in the pharmacy usually a 70% to 90% solution, that is, it
contains anywhere from 10% to 30% water.  I tried mixing mineral oil with
90% ethyl alcohol, and that was really a mess.  The oil just forms large
blobs that float around while stirring, then sink to the bottom.  So
apparently mineral oil has to be cut with one of the hydrocarbon solvents
that have been mentioned (mineral spirits, kerosene, xylene, toluene, etc.)
Regards,
Paul M.