From:
Peter Egerton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 13:54:22 -0800
I concur,
I don't think post-it notes stick well enough (data is valuable stuff!),
and probably wouldn't stick at all if the shell has been oiled or has
a rough surface. Once again, if you use the nail pollish method, you can
wash the shell, oil the shell, anything! and the number won't come off,
but it's gone with a simple wipe of nail pollish remover.
Peter

>Post-It notes are designed to stick temporarily to paper and other objects.
>However, my experience is that Post-It notes left in books adhere firmly to
>the pages after about 5 years. --Yes, research projects often last that
>long, though not usually by original intent. :-)
>
>I do not recommend the use of Post-It notes to label shells.
>
>Andrew K. Rindsberg
>Geological Survey of Alabama

Peter Egerton, Vancouver, Canada
Collector of worldwide Mollusca